Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pie…Pie…Glorious, Delicious Pie

Today I made four apple pies, three key lime pies and one pecan pie. Pie is delicious. Really! How can you not like pie? You know the expression 'As American as apple pie'? Pie is to American what the éclair is to France or what summer pudding is to England or what flan is to Mexico. It just screams America. And it is my favorite type of dessert. PIE!!! PIE!!! PIE!!! Don't give me cake. Don't give me pudding. Give me PIE! (Well cakes and pudding are pretty good as well.)

I recently met someone who unilaterally does not like pie. I have always liked this person a lot, but now...well eh, not so sure. I mean who does not like pie? I understand maybe not liking certain kinds of pie, but to across the board, not a single exception, not like pie is just crazy talk. Nonsense, crap, I say. Possibly she is an alien. Would that explain the bizarre pie hating behavior? Maybe, but seriously...WHO DOESN'T LIKE PIE? Weird, strange, wack-a-doodle people, or aliens, don't like pie. How can your mouth not water just thinking about different kinds of pie: coconut cream pie, lemon meringue pie, chocolate cream pie, blackberry pie, apple pie, strawberry rhubarb pie, key lime pie, pecan pie, chocolate pecan pie, shoofly pie, lemon chess pie, sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, cherry pie (favorite, seriously), peach pie—I could go on, but I think you get the point. Can you really say that you hate all of these pies? Good lord, there is no possible way. I have been trying to imitate my mom's lemon meringue pie forever, it was delicious. She made some really good pies. Especially her savory pies, like the Vidalia onion pie. Oh wow… Again, I LOVE PIE!

With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, pie is pretty much on the menu. I challenge my friend to try a piece of each one of my pies and tell me that she still doesn't like pie. Unfortunately she is a pretty stubborn gal and will not change her opinion, almost out of spite. She has decided she doesn't like pie and that's that. I'll show her, I'll make a whipped cream pie and smack her in the face with it. Then at least she will have a reason to hate pie. Ugh..hate pie. Un-American.

No comments:

Post a Comment